Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Scoop of Nostalgia...

A Scoop of Perfection
Ah nostalgia. The yearning for the past. I associate many a past memory with food, specifically ice cream.

Growing up in Tustin, Calif., I frequented the Baskin-Robbins at the corner of Irvine Blvd. and Newport Ave. as much as I possibly could, especially during the summer months. Sure the square scoops across the street at Kresge's were cheaper (15 cents for one scoop; a quarter for two), but there was something unappealing about the way the pimple-faced server swiped-rather-than-rinsed the ice cream scoop across what appeared to be a moldy orange counter sponge.

Baskin-Robbins boasting its 31 flavors for every day of the month was my preference.

Chocolate. Vanilla. Strawberry. I didn't gravitate towards the standard popular flavors. My ice cream craving palette sought sophistication. Rocky Road.  Pink Bubblegum. German Chocolate Cake. My all-time-remains-to-this-day favorite is still Jamoca Almond Fudge. No need for the iconic pink spoon. Two scoops atop a sugar cone please.

Sweet savory perfectly delivered nostalgia one lick at a time.

Today I am grateful for:
*The surprise pint of nostalgia in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment