Monday, January 3, 2011

Pondering the Dying Art of Letter Writing...

"Letters are expectation packaged in an envelope."--Shana Alexander, American Journalist

Yes email, Facebook, Twitter are quicker. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the anticipation of opening my letter box (ok so it's actually a 25 yard walk to a cluster of metal bins)and hoping to find a treasure among the daily airline credit card offers and useless community coupons to establishments I'd never frequent much less ever heard of.

On rare occasions, I relish the arrival of a handwritten note, card or letter.

Today I am grateful for:

*Not one, but the arrival of two handwritten cards

Won't you take the time to pen your thoughts, affix a stamp and send your own treasure? I assure you the recipient will be grateful.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Liz,

    Thank you for a wonderful blog! I particularly enjoyed this post about letter writing. It so happens that I wrote about the same subject only a couple of hours ago:
    http://thethingsienjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Liz. I'm a letter writing junkie and think there's so much value in the handwritten note. Glad you're bringing attention to it here. Ever heard of The Things Unsaid Project? It's at www.thingsunsaidproject.wordpress.com. Worth checking out if you're a fan of letter writing and, yet more, believe in its qualities.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there are others who share this similar passion! Thank you NNon and Shawn for your links--will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing letters! So much so that I am starting a magazine called 'Letters & Journals'. Expect to publish later this year.

    Jackie
    www.lettersandjournals.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie, love your site and look forward to the debut of 'Letters & Journals'!

    ReplyDelete