Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Fresh Start...

I know the calendar says it's time to come off our post-holiday high of parties, presents and pounds and face the music in the name of New Year’s resolutions. Personally, I believe this annual, thinly disguised attempt to break bad habits and establish newer, healthier ones is doomed for failure.

We all strive to take better care of ourselves; be nicer, more tolerant people; vow to read New York Times bestseller books; take that trip we’ve been promising ourselves for years; but in reality, it never happens. So rather than share my previous resolutions I have yet to achieve, I resolve and propose we all take the time do perform the much simpler-easier-to-attain task of taking inventory of our lives on a daily basis. Giving thanks need not occur once a year in November.

After my first meningioma brain surgery I struggled with overwhelming feelings of depression often wondering how I would start life again. My childhood best friend suggested I keep a gratitude journal to focus on the "can dos" rather than the "can't dos" negative thinking I was consumed with. Initially I was skeptical about penning my thoughts on blank paper. I surprised myself when this regular act of taking just a few minutes or even longer on a regular basis created a shift in my thinking, not to mention the immensely huge difference it made in my healing and recovery.

To this day I still pull out that gratitude journal to remind myself that yes, I did make a fresh start and even if recording something as simple as "I walked around the cul-de-sac without any assistance" or "Sleeping through the night."

And so without any pressure (we all have enough daily demands in our life) I propose to share what I am thankful for over the course of 2011 and invite you to do the same. Ideally, it would be great to compile 365 days of gratitude, but hey I'm realistic that even the best intentions get sidetracked.

So here's to a fresh start beginning now.

I am thankful for:

*Ringing in the new year with board games, bad-for-you food & bed after the EST ball drop!

*Hannah & Hunter hugs

*Koufax is still managing well with diabetes and blindess and is determined to play ball every day!

*Snow--we finally got some!

*Home-made cinnamon rolls & chocolate truffles--the walking can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment