Monday, March 16, 2009

3 yellow pills


3 yellow pills

a Walgreens' vial stares at me from across the room
its contents await patiently
as the appointed hour looms
against the white kitchen counter
yellow pills stare up at me
pleading and begging to swallow all three

their chalky taste make a promise again
of electric pulses not to send
i put my faith in them, i have no choice, i must
but the misfirings begin
another broken trust

neurons gather like armies of ants
agitated and angry, on and on they rant
colors become brighter, emotions out of control
my sense of being, no longer whole

please quell the fires
you said you’d stop inside my head
the thought of more of you, i absolutely dread
liar, liar, liar, you make me ill

3 nasty, chalky, little… yellow pills

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard such a wonderfully written poem about pills. Now of course, I will have to ask a ton of questions; but that will be for later....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love this poem! I want to put it on my fridge now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pamela! Sorry if you have to take AED's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across this post in a search for loose craniotomy screws and had to comment. I've been having serious headaches for months in the location of my craniotomy and my neurologist thinks a screw from my bone flap may have come loose. I had a craniotomy 17 yrs. ago to remove a golfball sized Cavernous hemangioma in my right temporal lobe which left me with some loss of my left peripheral vision as well as a seizure diorder (partial onset seizures) I also take trileptal as well as Depakote ER to help control them. Unfortunately even with those meds and the dozen or so other meds I've tried, my seizures are not completely controlled...the one thing that stops the seizures once they start and keeps them at bay is currently still not legal for me to use. I find it very difficult to explain to others what I feel during and after my seizures, yet you seem to capture the essence of it beautifully in your poem.
    I haven't really met anybody who truly understands how this affects me, nice to know there are others out there who can relate...just sorry you have to. Best of luck to you.

    Rick in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi RJ,
    I'm happy you stumbled across A Screw Loose and appreciate your kind words. I'm sorry about your headaches and it wouldn't surprise me if a floating screw is a factor. One of my Meningioma Poppas literally sneezed a loose screw out of his nose! If you are ever in need of support from others like yourself, feel free to join our Everything Epilepsy forum at Meningioma Mommas. Congratulations on being a 17-year survivor!

    ReplyDelete